Saturday, April 07, 2018

A Fresh Start to Spring

As I look out my window the Apricot tree is in full bloom, and a late Spring snowfall is slowly melting away. The Crocus and Grape Hyacinth's are emerging to remind me it is finally Spring in Boulder, Colorado. 

The late snow got me busy indoors going through my saddle pack and refreshing first aid supplies. I recently took a NOLS Wilderness First Aid class. This two-day class made me feel more capable of handling accidents that may occur either in the backcountry or on a local trail—whether on foot or on horseback. I have been wanting to take this class for some time. A horse camping accident last year got me motivated, so when I saw this class come up through REI I jumped on it. I recommend you find a class near you.

The next on my to-do-list was cleaning out my trailer, checking tires and getting ready for trailering this year. Saddle cleaning and finally letting go of that extra tack like saddles, girths, and bridles that I no longer use. First I tried listing one of my saddles on a horse-related website and sure enough I was contacted, but by a scammer who kept insisting I use their delivery service. This is a Red Flag. So be aware that if you are selling anything online to use your delivery service and payment service like PayPal. After trying to sell my endurance saddle myself, and running all over the town, I decide to go with a local tack shop, Saddle Up in nearby Longmont, Colorado. Yes, they take a percentage, but all the time and gas involved in saving a few dollars makes it worth it.

While I was at Saddle Up I found a grooming tool that I had heard was perfect for shedding winter coats. It is called the Groom Ninja. Not only is is great on small animals and horses, but also horse blankets, and it comes in three sizes. You will love this tool!

Have a lovely Spring
Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment